About Lisa

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hiding the annoying TV Cables

So...........we used to have the TV cables tucked away in the wall, it was so nice!  But than..........we got HDTV, which meant another cable..............and than we got the Wii, yet again, another cable.  Why couldn't we just tuck these new cables in the wall?  Well, here's why.
 When we had the TV placed on the wall we thought we were so cool and tie-wrapped all the cables  neatly  in the wall, prior to the drywall/texture (closing up the wall).  Problem with this, is that we cannot pull a cable from one end to the other, (behind the TV to behind the shelves).  This also means we cannot feed a new cable through the wall, not knowing where it will end up.
  So, long story short, if you need to install a plasma to the wall, make sure you add a "smurf tube" in the wall, prior to closing up the wall.  It's basically tubing inserted in the wall, which will allow you to easily slide cables from one end to the next.

This is what it looked like with the annoying cables on display.


My options to hide the cables were the following:

1)  Hire a contractor to come and insert cables properly with a "smurf tube" ( $$+$$)
2) Paint the cables to match the wall color and staple them to the wall
3) "THINK, THINK, THINK Lisa, you can come up with something."

So, I went with my third option, and came up with this.
I purchased two painting canvas' and painted them with the same color as my wall color. 


I put one on either side of the mantel, just because I'm symmetrical like that ;)   And voila..........the cables are nowhere to be seen.   However, I still would like to go with Option #1.  At this point I will just add it to my list of things to do in our nest :) 



Looks cool, right?  I'm pleased with it for now :)  I do like how the vases kind of look like they're popping out of the canvas'.

I still haven't figured out what I want to put on top of the shelves.......if anything at all.





No comments:

Post a Comment